June 2019 saw national fishing tackle retailer, Angling Direct, open a brand new store in Sutton-in-Ashfield. The new Angling Direct shop in Sutton can be found at: 1B Forest St, Sutton-in-Ashfield, NG17 1DA. This large tackle shop is packed to the rafters with major brand tackle, alongside AD’s own-brand ADVanta range.
As part of a large national chain, Angling Direct stock a large range of tackle and offer convenient services such as “click & collect”, which many people will find to be very convenient. However, Sutton-in-Ashfield already has a long-established independent fishing tackle shop based on the old marketplace – Phil’s Bait and Tackle – which I believe offers anglers much more.
If you are looking to start out fishing, or to get your child kitted-out with fishing tackle for them to give fishing a try then you should head to your local independent tackle shop – in this case Phil’s Bait & Tackle. In their shop you will find excellent service and one the largest ranges of tackle in the area, from major manufacturers of coarse, carp, specimen and match tackle. They have plenty of kit priced perfectly for beginners who are looking to buy their first rod & reel set up.
Local tackle shops such as Phil’s are visited by the most serious anglers, so staff in these independent shops are really in-the-know on hot local venues, tactics, etc. They also tend to be staffed by experienced anglers with a wealth of experience; so they’re perfectly placed to give advice, whether you’re a complete beginner or looking to improve your own fishing. Staff will have in-depth knowledge of local venues, so if you tell them where you’re looking to fish, they’ll advise on the most suitable tackle for the venue & species you’re targeting.
Earlier this year Phil’s expanded their store to almost twice the size, by taking on the vacant shop next door to build a dedicated carp tackle department.
Here are some things Phil’s Bait & Tackle can offer, which you might only expect from a large chain tackle dealer like AD:
- Free car parking – 30 minutes free on-road parking right outside the door, or 1 hour free car parking across the road in the old marketplace.
- Pay by card – credit cards and debit cards accepted.
- Price matching on many rods, reels & large tackle items – ask about price matching versus Angling Direct’s prices.
- Gift vouchers available – perfect presents for the angler in your life.
- Starter kits – ready-to-fish kits for beginners.
- Bargain bins – several discount buckets full of terminal tackle, lures & other heavily reduced teckle items.
- Great deals – there’s always a deal to be had, whether it’s bargain basement rods or a volume discount.
- Part exchange – got some old tackle that you’d like to upgrade? Take it into store and they’ll value it for you.
- Full Repair & Spares Service – rod & pole repair service, pole elastication, rod re-ringing, reel servicing, spare parts for some other tackle items (e.g. adjustable landing net handles & banksticks), etc.
- Bespoke portable power banks – ask about power banks to keep your devices charged during longer sessions.
The following map shows the proximity of Phil’s Bait & Tackle (green fish icon) to the FREE Car Parking in Sutton:
The rapid rise of Angling Direct as the nation’s foremost tackle shop chain has come at a time when smaller independent tackle & bait shops have been closing at an alarming rate. To be so successful they must be doing something right and I’m not for one second saying do not buy from Angling Direct. Instead, what I urge you to do is try your local independent tackle shop first, and only visit Angling Direct if the other tackle shop can’t supply what you’re after. From Angling Direct you’ll get tackle and bait, but from your local independent tackle shop you’ll get so much more besides.